12.21.2010

Travel Tuesday

In the spirit of remembering what's important to me, I've deemed Tuesdays to be "Travel Tuesday".  It's my plan to post a weekly travelogue of past, present and future adventures.


Perhaps one of the most important places to me in the entire world is Kiawah Island, SC.


When my family and I started visiting over 20 years ago, it had just started to grow into what it has become today.  As a child it was a place where my younger sister and I could run free, meet new friends at Kamp Kiawah and search for alligators and starfish.  Every summer (and most imaginable holidays) were spent roaming from one end of the 10 mile long island to the other - a constant adventure. 



As a teenager, the adventures continued.  We met new friends at Night Heron pool, went to icecream socials and teen dance parties.  In college, my friends and I would come down for spring break (or any break we got) and enjoy the change of pace from busy college life. 




As an adult, it's been a place to reconnect with my family, ride bikes for hours and play golf while marveling at the scenery.  Last year, I finally got the chance to introduce Kris to Kiawah.  Although it has changed a lot from my childhood (including the addition of a 5 star hotel - The Sanctuary).  A lot of it's original charm is still in place.  Here are some pics from Kris' first trip -  






To me, it's more "home" than the small town I grew up in.  It's peaceful quiet and natural beauty continue to inspire me and offer much needed serenity.  


In fact, I love it so much that we got married there a couple months ago! (more on that later)

No comments:

Post a Comment